Luxembourg has provided a two million Euro ($2.16 million) grant for mine action in Cambodia, under the Clearing for Results Project, managed by the Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) and UNDP.

The grant agreement was signed today, April 1 by Prince Guillaume Jean Joseph Marie, Crown Prince of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, and Alissar Chaker, resident representative of UNDP Cambodia.

Chaker explained that the Clearing for Results project has been in action in the kingdom since 2006 and has cleared 384 square kilometres of mine-contaminated land to date, benefitting over one million people.

“The current phase (2020-2025) is funded by Australia, New Zealand and South Korea, with parallel contributions from the Royal Government of Cambodia,” she said.

She extended a warm welcome to Luxembourg as a new partner, and noted the work that its contributions will support.

This includes support for five additional physical rehabilitation centres in Phnom Penh, Prey Veng, Kratie, Takeo and Siem Reap to provide services to around 4,000 mine survivors and 10,000 people with disabilities. Livelihood opportunities and training will also be provided to selected of survivors’ households.

Luxembourg will also fund the targeted clearance of eight square kilometres of contaminated land, benefitting around 24,000 individuals, as well as support the establishment of two Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) teams in provinces that have been declared free of “known” mines.

“I reconfirm the UNDP’s commitment to supporting the Royal Government in completing the task of releasing all contaminated land for safe and productive use, thereby closing this dark chapter in Cambodia’s history,” said Chaker.

Witnessing the signing, Ly Thuch, first vice-president of the CMAA, noted that the grant strengthens the backbone of Cambodia's mine action success and that the Clearing for Results Project exemplifies effective collaboration that ensures both international expertise and national ownership.

“The generous contribution from Luxembourg and her people will directly impact thousands of lives — enabling over 23,900 people to regain safe access to their land, strengthening rehabilitation centers for survivors and advancing our collective mission,” he said.

He explained that the project has helped convert technical expertise into tangible human impact, with each cleared field representing safety and opportunity for agriculture, construction and for life to resume its natural rhythm.

“Luxembourg's support exemplifies international partnership at its best — recognising that mine clearance is not charity but an investment in human potential,” he said.

According to the CMAA, from 1992 to 2024 Cambodia cleared some 3,297 square kilometres of land which was previously contaminated by unexploded ordnance (UXO). A total of over four million UXOs have been destroyed, benefiting over 10 million people, thanks to international support and cooperation and the efforts of the government.