Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Military clearing claims dismissed as outdated

Military clearing claims dismissed as outdated

Tractors in an area of protected forest in Oddar Meanchey that locals say was seized by military officials in 2016. Incursions by the military have been blamed for the failure of a REDD+ project in the province. Photo supplied
Tractors in an area of protected forest in Oddar Meanchey that locals say was seized by military officials in 2016. Incursions by the military have been blamed for the failure of a REDD+ project in the province. Photo supplied

Military clearing claims dismissed as outdated

A REDD Programme representative yesterday said it would be concerning if recent claims of the military systematically clearing protected forest in Oddar Meanchey province covered under the scheme proved true – though a third-party company has dismissed the claims as outdated.

Florian Eisele, with the UN REDD Programme, yesterday said if the claims made by a UK-based environmental organisation, Fern, are correct, it would be “concerning”, but the UN program “does usually not work with individual projects nor are we in a position to comment on them”.

Conservation experts have said Oddar Meanchey’s carbon crediting scheme – Cambodia’s first REDD+ project – has been highly problematic since it first started in 2008 at a time when many settlers in the area were soldiers, making it difficult to protect the forest. The latest claims were made in a November 2017 report by Fern.

After the report was published, Virgin Atlantic, which used carbon credits from the project to offset its flights, asked Natural Capital Partners, the company facilitating the purchase of the credits, to investigate the claims.

However, Rebecca Fay, with Natural Capital Partners, said it had reported back to Virgin Atlantic regarding the Fern accusations.

“The fern report appears to be based on articles from 2014 and 2016 which they have taken from other publications,” she wrote in an email, declining to answer how Natural Capital Partners carried out its investigation, and how it concluded that those issues had been solved.

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested