Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mondulkiri reporter summoned over ‘defamation’ interview




Mondulkiri reporter summoned over ‘defamation’ interview

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Journalist Sath Chanbuth (right) was ordered to appear before Mondulkiri Provincial Court on allegations of incitement and defamation stemming from an interview earlier this year. Photo supplied

Mondulkiri reporter summoned over ‘defamation’ interview

The Mondulkiri provincial court arraigned a journalist working for Rasmei Kampuchea Daily and Apsara TV to appear for questioning for defamation and incitement in line with a lawsuit filed by a Lieutenant Colonel.

A summons signed by deputy prosecutor Mam Vanda, dated November 19 and obtained by The Post on Thursday, ordered journalist Sath Chanbuth, 34, of Keo Seima district to appear for questioning on Monday.

“The letter is about a case with the plaintiff Sophat Serivuthy, represented by his lawyer Seng Singheng, [who sued Chanbuth] for defamation and incitement in July and August this year. Chanbuth must show up on time and bring relevant documents if available,” the letter read.

Chanbuth said he would appear for the questioning and is in the process of preparing legal documents related to the case. ’

The lawsuit follows after Chanbuth posted a video from his interview with an ethnic group who accused Serivuthy of trying to plant fence posts in an attempt to grab their land in O’Raing district’s Dak Dam commune.

Serivuthy’s assistant was said to have called Chanbuth to take down the video but the latter refused.

“I will tell the court the truth about the claims against Serivuthy and the indigenous people will come and support me. They are my witnesses,” said Chanbuth, “but I am also concerned because I am afraid that the court will not investigate the case thoroughly”.

According to Singheng, Chanbuth went to the site of the land conflict and wrongly reported that his client had up to 40ha from grabbing the people’s land.

“Actually, my client has only 2ha which he bought legally in 2005. He did not grab the land,” he claimed.

Moeun Chhean Nariddh, the director of the Cambodian Institute for Journalism, told The Post that if Chanbuth did report the truth, he should not be worried and should instead try to gather reliable documents that would help him in court.

However, if he reported falsely or defamed others, he should correct his statement or release an apology addressed to the plaintiff.

Chhean Nariddh said the parties should not bring the case to court over a little mistake as it might be seen as a threat to other journalists. Nevertheless, Chhean Nariddh said the victim has a right to justice if the report was false.

Serivuthy could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia