Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM: New main airport on track

PM: New main airport on track

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The airport construction is 30 per cent complete. Hun Sen’s Facebook Page

PM: New main airport on track

Prime Minister Hun Sen said construction of the new Phnom Penh International Airport would not lack capital investment despite the economic impact of Covid-19.

He was speaking during a visit to the airport site in Kandal province on Monday. The construction is 30 per cent complete.

“The construction requires $1.5 billion in capital investment and the company has not mentioned cash shortages or suspension of construction, so the airport work goes on as scheduled and all site work as usual,” the prime minister said.

The airport will be rated 4F, which means it will be able to handle the largest aircraft, including the Airbus A380-800 and Boeing 747-800 to land.

“I hope Cambodia will attract more tourists and investors after the new Phnom Penh International Airport is ready,” he said.

Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation (OCIC) CEO Pung Khieu Se said the airport is being constructed on 2,600ha in Kandal province’s Kandal Stung district and is scheduled for its phase one operations by 2023.

The first phase will be able to receive 13 million tourists each year. Currently, the project has spent $120 million for consulting, design, foundation drilling, and soil work.

“The project will cost another $208 million from now until the end of the year, and from July we will spend $1.2 million per day.

“Foreign credit funds are not available immediately and current expenditure is dependent on local funds. However, the company will do its best to not obstruct the project,” Khieu Se said.

OCIC will hold a 90 per cent stake with another Chinese company in the project, while the remaining 10 per cent belongs to the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted