Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PM orders fence removal at Ochheuteal Beach during Sihanoukville trip

PM orders fence removal at Ochheuteal Beach during Sihanoukville trip

Prime Minister Hun Sen (centre) walks along Ochheuteal Beach on Friday during a visit to the coastal town of Sihanoukville. Facebook
Prime Minister Hun Sen (centre) walks along Ochheuteal Beach on Friday during a visit to the coastal town of Sihanoukville. Facebook

PM orders fence removal at Ochheuteal Beach during Sihanoukville trip

In a spontaneous executive directive, Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered fences be taken down around a construction site at Sihanoukville’s Ochheuteal Beach as he strolled along the seafront, with local authorities later saying the project had not received the prerequisite permissions.

The premier, who was in the beachside town for the weekend, directed local officials on Friday to tear down metal fences surrounding a plot of land along Ochheuteal Beach, with authorities duly complying a day later.

The coastal town is seeing a sea-change resulting from a massive influx of investment and workers from China, with large sections of Ochheuteal Beach cleared of vendors and fenced off for a massive development project headed by tycoon Kith Meng of Royal Group and an unnamed Chinese partner.

Provincial and local authorities have been reluctant to name the Chinese firm involved in the project or to even provide additional details about the project’s scope.

Following the premier’s annoyance at the barricades, a letter was sent to a Mr Ly Lay on Friday informing him that construction for a planned seven-storey hotel at the site had yet to be approved and that prior permission was needed before putting up the fences, said Sihanoukville Town Governor Y Sokleng.

“Coincidentally, Prime Minister Hun Sen came there and he saw it. He saw the occupation of the area with the fence and he did not approve it,” Sokleng said yesterday.

Sokleng claimed that the construction firm had fenced off the land a month ago and that the project was now cancelled. He refused to clarify who Ly Lay was or who the land belonged to, instead pointing to his Friday letter.

Provincial Governor Yun Min, however, confirmed that the land belonged to Royal Group’s Meng and said that the hotel project was proceeding.

“But even though it is private land, you cannot build anything you like. When it is on the beach, you cannot build something to block it so that you can hardly see the sea,” he said.

Meng could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Adhoc coordinator Sreng Vanly said the land formerly belonged to the Military Police and was now in Meng’s control. He said the move to destroy the fence was a good one, given that the firm had yet to receive permission.

“I appeal to the government to rescue the other beaches, which other powerful businessmen have taken advantage of. People cannot enjoy the beach and see the beach clearly,” he said.

Amid the development at Ochheuteal, rumours have swirled at nearby Otres I beach, where vendors say they are concerned they will be asked to move as well.

Taing Socheat Kroesna, director of the provincial Tourism Department, said that vendors at Otres will not have to move but will have to standardise their establishments to fit a master plan.

Fatima Yousif, a manager at Papa Pippo Bar on Otres, said there has been no clear indication if they will be evicted but that some vendors, closer to Ochheuteal, had been asked to clear out.

“Vendors at the start of the beach were asked to leave by February, but they haven’t left yet,” she said, adding that eviction rumours had been around for years but took on more substance with Ochheuteal’s clearing.

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to