Five people were rushed to Anlong Veng district referral hospital in Oddar Meanchey province on May 4 for food poisoning after eating bread bought from a motorcycle rider in O’Tamen village in the district’s Anlong Veng commune.

District police chief Sim Vanna identified the victims as Meth Mean, 45; his daughter Mean Pharin, 17; Phan Phea, 46; Mean Phalida, 11; and Eang Sokla, a seven-year-old son of the village chief.

Citing the victims’ accounts, Vanna said that at 3pm of May 4, the five bought the bread from a motorist for 1,000 riel ($0.25).

None of them felt unwell after eating the bread, but about an hour later, they felt dizzy, nauseous and had diarrhoea. They then reported the incident to Anlong Veng commune police, who rushed them to hospital. They recovered and returned home the next day.