Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police launching probe into Mondulkiri killing spree

Police launching probe into Mondulkiri killing spree

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police examine the body of a man who was killed in Mondulkiri province on February 2. FACEBOOK

Police launching probe into Mondulkiri killing spree

Five people were killed and another boy seriously injured following a violent rampage by an unidentified man in Pou Chrei commune’s Me Pai village of Mondulkiri province’s Pech Chreada district.

Provincial deputy police chief So Sovann said the five murders had occurred on February 1. The case was now being investigated by the police, but they had not yet drawn any strong conclusions.

“According to preliminary investigations, we suspect that spite may have been the motive, but we have yet to identify a suspect. When we examined the victims, we found that they had all been beaten with a blunt object,” he said.

Sen Monorom town deputy police chief Cheng Mab identified four of the dead as Moth Krak, 45, his wife Nich Srey, 41, their sons Krak Ny and Krak Ly, aged 5 and 15. The fifth was Nuon Sam Ath, the 15-year-old son of another family in the village.

The injured boy, Krak Si, who is the 12-year-old son of Krak and Srey, was knocked unconscious after being hit in the neck by the suspect. The police chief noted that the family lived in Sen Monorom town but had recently moved to the district.

He said that before the incident, another son of the couple who lived in Sen Monorom town called his father around noon, but it went unanswered. The boy then went to visit the family in the district, but discovered that the house was empty.

The family’s motorcycle was still parked in front of the house, so he decided to go and look for them. He and his dog were searching the local creeks when he discovered the bodies of his father and two brothers. At 1pm, he called the police to alert them to his grisly find.

Mab said that following the call, he led a team of police to the scene. The three bodies were found between 100m and 200m from the family home. On February 3, the police discovered the bodies of the mother and the 15-year-old son of another family about 1km from the house. The boy was visiting the family to buy cakes, and it is surmised that he was killed because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“A forensic examination of the bodies revealed that the victims had been beaten to death with a blunt object. In addition, Krak had been shot in the head,” Mab added.

Sovann said the NGO Child Protection Unit was cooperating with the police to provide scientific and technical assistance in investigating the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a