Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - PP Municipal Court concludes Rott Mony RT documentary trial

PP Municipal Court concludes Rott Mony RT documentary trial

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rath Rott Mony was at The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on May 2019. Heng Chivoan

PP Municipal Court concludes Rott Mony RT documentary trial

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday concluded the civil case against Rath Rott Mony over the filming of the controversial RT documentary My Mother Sold Me.

Earlier this week RT, the Russian government-funded television network that produced the documentary on the alleged sale of young women’s virginity, wrote a letter to the Cambodian embassy in Moscow, expressing its concern over Rott Mony’s detention.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court hearing, comprised of Judge Koy Sao and Deputy Prosecutor Vong Bun Visoth, heard from plaintiffs Tep Salin and her daughter Lim Sreyty that Rott Mony told them he would help with the capital to set up a hairdressers salon and a laundry business.

He said the film would not be shown in Cambodia. RT would air it abroad and should it be successful, they would help her with money, Roth Mony was alleged to have said.

“My family is poor and when Rott Mony told me he could help me financially, [I agreed]. But the title of the film was My Mother Sold Me."

“If I had known this, my daughter and I would not have gotten involved. Though poor, I did not sell my daughter and I demand $10,000 in damages,” Salin said.

Sreyty told the judge that she had volunteered to act in the firm because Rott Mony told her that it was about the lives of poor families in Cambodia.

“He did not tell me the truth beforehand. I have never sold my body even though I am poor. When the case became known to the police, they arrested my mother, saying she had sold me. I demand $10,000 in damages,” Sreyty said.

Sam Titseyha and Lor Chunthy, Rott Mony’s defence lawyers, argued that their client did not instruct anyone to use the words “selling their body”. Those involved answered all questions voluntarily, they said.

In addition, the RT film crew had submitted a letter to the Cambodian embassy in Russia saying that Rott Mony worked for them only as a translator.

“So I ask the court to drop the charges based on Article 496 of the Criminal Code,” defence lawyer Chunthy said.

Prosecutor Bun Visoth said that based on the testimony of the five plaintiffs, evidence, and police reports, Rott Mony had clearly participated in making the film and was a producer as well as a translator.

“The film damaged Cambodia’s reputation. So I would like the court to agree with the investigating judge’s charges,” he said.

The verdict will be announced on June 26.

Ekaterina Yakovleva, the head of RT’s documentary department, said in the letter to the Cambodian embassy in Moscow that Rott Mony had worked with their crew only as a local “fixer and interpreter” between January 22 and February 6 last year.

The documentary was edited in Moscow in August and September last year by a team of solely RT personnel.

They wished to make it clear that the RT crew had secured signed notes of consent from each of the main female characters in respect of their participation and appearance in the film, the letter added.

“We are highly concerned about the detention of Rott Mony and hope that the situation is resolved in the nearest future,” Ekaterina said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this