Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Sihanouk governor warns coal plant may be shut down



Preah Sihanouk governor warns coal plant may be shut down

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min leads a working group of technical experts during an inspectiion of a coal plant in Stung Hav district’s Otres commune. kim sambath via facebook

Preah Sihanouk governor warns coal plant may be shut down

Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min on Monday warned that a coal plant in Stung Hav district’s Otres commune might be closed after 42 families complained against the factory.

The villagers who live near the plant expressed concern that the clouds of dust resulting from the factory’s activities might have compromised their health.

Min on Monday said the plant was authorised to operate by the Ministry of Industry and Handcraft, after leading a working group comprising technical experts, among others, during an inspection to the factory.

A representative from the plant promised to prepare a technical plan to solve the problem, Min said.

He said the working group had agreed to allow some time for the representative to prepare the plan to address the problem.

“We gave them [the plant] another few months to improve the [environmental] situation. If it does not comply with the instructions, we will stop its operations or force it to relocate far away from the villagers’ houses,” Min stressed.

The governor continued that solving the problem would create a win-win situation for both the company and the villagers.

“The company will continue profiting from their business and the villagers will have jobs and better health,” he said.

Khiev Vuthy, a representative of the families, said the plant had been impacting their health since it began operations in 2013, yet most of them remained “in their native village” but “had to endure the problem every day”.

The villagers, he said, had filed multiple complaints to the commune and district authorities and addressed the matter directly to the plant, but to no avail.

Vuthy said some villagers, at one point, “fell sick one by one due to the dust cloud”.

The incident forced the community to file a complaint to the provincial authority and asked them to visit the site directly.

“Young or old . . . almost all fell sick. I have yet to get myself checked. Overall, the situation is very difficult due to the dust cloud coming from the plant,” he stressed.

Similarly, provincial environment department director Samuth Sothearith said on Tuesday that the plant representative agreed to prepare a technical strategy to prevent the dust cloud from infiltrating people’s houses.

“We will also hold a public forum so the villagers can express their opinions and make inquiries to speed up the creation of solutions to this matter,” Sothearith said.

Sok Sokhom, the director of the Cambodian National Research Organisation, said he hoped that “national and sub-national level officials would urge the plant owner to relocate far from a residential area”.

“Preparing the technical strategy [might] take months to complete. The problem [of dust clouds compromising people’s health] will carry on in the meantime,” Sokhom stressed.

Neither the plant owner nor any of its representatives could be reached on Tuesday for clarification on the matter.

However, the plant manager – Chen Song – was quoted by the provincial administration as saying that it was producing 100 tonnes of fine aggregate from treated coal waste every day.

Speaking on behalf of the factory, he promised to minimise the occurrence of dust clouds during the process so as not to compromise the villagers’ health.

“We will seek measures to reduce the dust without impacting the environment and the welfare of our people who live around my plant,” Song stressed.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could