Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ratanakkiri police seize timber, build court cases



Ratanakkiri police seize timber, build court cases

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Timber found in a river in Ratanakkiri province’s O’Yadav district. Police

Ratanakkiri police seize timber, build court cases

Ratanakkiri provincial police have handed over a mix of 33 pieces of timber to provincial environmental officials as evidence to build a court case after they were seized in O’Yadav district.

Provincial Department of Environment director Phon Khemerin said on Monday that he had received many kinds of timber from experts this month.

A joint force conducted an operation on July 11 near Kampong Chamlang on the Tonle Sesan River in O’Yadav district’s Sesan commune.

“I saw all of the pieces already. Now our officials are measuring them,” Khemerin said.

Provincial Military Police commander Thav Yen said: “We handed over the evidence to environment officials for further legal proceedings.

“But a timber owner managed to escape. We have continued to carry out this crackdown, not forgiving any timber trader. We have taken measures in all forms against them,” Yen said.

He said that ahead of the operation, police forces had used motorboats to patrol the river in the district. Then, they spotted the timber hidden there by traders. They seized the timber and handed it over to provincial environment officials for further legal proceedings.

In a separate case last month, a joint force in Kampong Speu raided a timber-processing facility in Sangke Satoap commune in Oral district, seizing 25 pieces of second-grade timber. The owner escaped.

Kampong Speu provincial Department of Environment deputy director Nov Nak said on Monday that some 50 joint police forces raided a timber-processing facility. All the timber was hidden in a pond.

“We cracked down on the facility. We didn’t meet with a facility owner as he escaped. A house connected to the facility was locked.

“Then we requested the top leadership to decide to raid the location. But the owner lifted the timber into the water and secretly transported away some wood-cutting machines,” Nak said.

ACNCIPO director Chea Hean said his organisation had joined the local authorities to crack down on the offences. “But regrettably, they didn’t detain the timber owner.

“Besides the timber, we found some samples of wood-cutting machines dismantled by traders,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could