An online reporter at TNM TV Online asked that his court appearance on assault charges be delayed so he could hire a defence lawyer.
Sem Bunna, who is accused of assaulting six people from a neighbouring family last year, said on Thursday that he made the request to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and does not know when he will be called again.
Bunna is the subject of an assault complaint although he claims he was the victim. The fight was not related to his work as a reporter.
He said in November last year, six people attacked him resulting in him suffering a broken jaw, a broken front tooth and neck injuries. The incident happened in Boeung Salang commune, Tuol Kork district. Police arrested two people – his neighbours Ol Sam Ath and Ol Phearum.
“After being sent to the municipal court, the court decided to release both of them. They then filed a complaint stating that I was the one who caused the violence,” he said.
Bunna said there was a verbal dispute between his family and another family that led to a physical confrontation.
Sem Bora, the founder of TNM TV Online, on Thursday urged the court to reconsider the trial according to the facts to give justice to Bunna.
“It is very unfair. The offenders did not agree to compensate the victim but even filed a complaint against him. We have evidence and video of the violence. Some hit him with sticks while others kicked the victim brutally,” Bora said.