Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rice en route to flood victims



Rice en route to flood victims

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Flood victims will be provided with early-maturing rice seeds and supplies to help them recoup losses. Veng Sakhon Facebook page

Rice en route to flood victims

Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Veng Sakhon will launch a rehabilitation campaign to assist people affected by floods in Battambang, Pursat and Banteay Meanchey provinces from October 29 until the first week of November.

The campaign will provide flood victims with early-maturing rice seeds, other crops and supplies to help them recoup losses they’ve incurred.

In a Facebook post, Sakhon said that according to an assessment of the damage to rice crops caused by floods, a number of sites may be able to start planting rice soon.

“The agriculture ministry will cooperate with the three provincial agriculture departments, together with sub-national authorities, to launch a preliminary rehabilitation campaign on rice cultivation,” he said.

He added that the rice cultivation campaign will start in Battambang on October 29 in Prey Klot village, in Rukhak Kiri district’s Prey Tralach commune. In Pursat, it will begin on October 30 in Boh Raing village, in Bakan district’s O’Taporng commune. In Banteay Meanchey, the campaign will start in the first week of November in Mongkol Borei district’s Rahat Teuk commune.

“We will set up at least five tractors, five bulldozers and three to four machines for flatting soil at each designated location in each province. That’s in addition to the provision of early-maturing rice seeds, and food for each affected family,” he said.

The ministry’s General Directorate of Agriculture director-general Ngin Chhay could not be reached for comment.

However, Banteay Meanchey provincial agriculture department director Pang Vannaseth said that as of October 25, more than 60,000ha of rice crops were affected by the floods in the province. More than 10,000ha of cash crops, including cassava, were also affected while more than 200ha of vegetable crops were damaged.

“We are evaluating damaged locations in Mongkol Borei district and Sisophon town. The agriculture minister implemented measures to limit the effects of the floods. The first stage is [helping] those who have been badly affected first by the droughts and now the floods. They are in Rahat Teuk, Mongkol Borei’,” he said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said during a visit to Banteay Meanchey on October 24 that the government had already prepared 2,000 tonnes of rice seeds of a non-seasonal variety to give to people affected by the floods. Each family who suffered flood-related damages will receive 100kg.

“For people who do not plant rice but still plant crops, the government will give six types of crops to plant when the water recedes.

“There is also agricultural machinery to assist farmers. Relevant ministries have to evaluate the damage caused by floods. We will only tackle issues for those who have been affected,” he said.

Coalition of Cambodian Farmer Community (CCFC) president Theng Saroeun said on October 25 that the government’s primary objective for the campaign is restoring rice crops, but it should focus on other areas of rehabilitation as well.

“Relevant ministries and institutions also have to be responsible for other parts to help restore and support people who have been affected after the flood recedes. They may also call for donors to help and restore people’s finances,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a