Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rubbish tuk-tuks delivered to six districts in the capital

Rubbish tuk-tuks delivered to six districts in the capital

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The rubbish tuk-tuks will be used to collect waste from areas where larger rubbish trucks cannot gain access. PHNOM PENH MUNICIPAL HALL

Rubbish tuk-tuks delivered to six districts in the capital

Phnom Penh Municipal Hall has handed over 40 modern rubbish tuk-tuks to six districts in the capital as a means to transport rubbish while it seeks to improve waste management.

Municipal hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey said on Sunday that the administration is planning to distribute the modern rubbish tuk-tuks to all districts as Cintri’s contract as the city’s waste collector was cancelled and new companies are found.

Cintri’s contract was ended after years of poor management and the government announced that the city would soon be divided into four zones with four new companies hired.

Meas Pheakdey said the distribution of the 40 tuk-tuks on Friday was carried out according to which districts most needed the vehicles.

On Friday, the following districts received tuk-tuks – Chbar Ampov (six), Por Sen Chey (seven), Meanchey (seven), Tuol Kork (10), Prampi Makara (three), Sen Sok (six) and Phsar Thom Thmey Authority (one).

“We did not focus on handing them out equally, but rather on the needs of each district. We distributed the tuk-tuks many times in the past.

“This distribution for the communes and districts will allow them to use the vehicles to transport rubbish from areas that the firm cannot get in. So, we use the tuk-tuk to bring the rubbish out,” Meas Pheakdey said.

Chbar Ampov district governor Cheng Monyra said his district got six motorbikes to collect garbage from locations that the company’s garbage trucks could not reach.

He said according to plans, the municipal hall will deliver the tuk-tuks to all districts and communes to make transporting waste to dumpsites more convenient and quicker to maintain a hygienic public environment.

“These tuk-tuks were delivered to the communes for stationed sanitation officials to use them. If there is rubbish, they fetch it. While collecting it, they must educate the public about proper rubbish management,” he said.

On November 4, last year, Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng handed over similar vehicles to four districts – Chroy Changvar, Daun Penh, Chamkarmon and Boeung Keng Kang.

Meanwhile, Kampong Speu Provincial Hall and World Bank representatives discussed waste management on Friday.

Kampong Speu provincial governor Vei Samnang met with a World Bank Working Group to gather information on waste and landfill management in the province.

The World Bank has set up a project on rubbish and solid waste management, selecting the provinces of Kampong Speu and Battambang as targets for implementation, Samnang said on Sunday.

The project will finance solid waste management in the local landfill, other solid waste infrastructure, legal frameworks and capacity building for officials at the national and sub-national levels, while also creating more favourable conditions for the private sector, he said.

“The reason why the World Bank chose the provinces of Kampong Speu and Battambang is the two are the most developed with factories, small- and large-scale enterprises, and the number of people.

“Also, the two are also target provinces that dump a lot of rubbish indiscriminately. So if the World Bank helps with this, it would be great,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to

  • PM: Do not defile Tonle Sap swamp forest or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered police to arrest anyone – including government officials – involved with the deforestation of the flooded forests surrounding the Tonle Sap Lake because it is an area important to the spawning of many species of fish, among other reasons. Speaking in a