Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sanctuary head sued for not stopping forest occupations

Sanctuary head sued for not stopping forest occupations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A lawsuit is moving forward over the alleged illegal sale of 51ha in the Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary. Facebook

Sanctuary head sued for not stopping forest occupations

Four Bunong and an Adhoc official filed a joint lawsuit against Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary head Prum Vibol Ratanak at the Mondulkiri Provincial Court for failing to stop illegal land occupation and the buying and selling of forest land.

Vibol Ratanak denies the allegations against him.

Forest activist Kroeung Tola told The Post on Wednesday that the lawsuit was filed on Tuesday because they had obtained letters about the transfer of 51ha of land between buyers and sellers in Sen Monorom commune, in Mondulkiri province’s O’Raing district. The land belonged to the Wildlife Sanctuary.

He said trees had been painted and the locations were marked in an area known as an elephant habitat. When residents reported the case to Vibol Ratanak he ignored it, the suit claims.

“Hopefully, the court identifies who is selling the land and who allowed its sale. At this stage, we filed the lawsuit against Vibol Ratanak for him to take responsibility and testify as to who they are,” Tola said.

The lawsuit reads that the land had been transferred to Seng Areya, 33, who lives in Boeung Kak II commune’s Village 1, in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district.

The lawsuit also names two indigenous people living in Andong Kroleung village. Vibol Ratanak had summoned the two of them to thumbprint a contract and took their IDs because they had grown crops on state land, the suit alleges.

But later, their names appeared in the letters of transfer to Areya. “Because they are illiterate [and] fearful, they put their thumbprints on the contract,” the suit alleges.

Vibol Ratanak said he would appear in court to clarify the matter. He acknowledged that there were people spray painting trees to grab the land. But officials had steadily stopped the activity, he said.

“We have tried to crack down on [the activity] and the signs that we placed were removed. Since it is like this, we are tired.

“They keep saying that we ignore the crimes but the wildlife sanctuary is situated in three districts and one town and we have only 18 forest rangers,” Vibol Ratanak said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Massive stingrays may live in Mekong’s deep pools

    US scientists have suggested that unexplored deep pools in the Mekong River in an area of Stung Treng could potentially be home to significant populations of giant freshwater stingrays, one of the world’s largest freshwater fish species. This comes as a fisherman hooked a 180

  • PM takes time to meet, greet Cambodians living in the US

    After landing in the US ahead of the ASEAN-US Special Summit, Prime Minister Hun Sen was received by over 1,000 Cambodian-Americans including political analysts who welcomed him with greetings, fist bumps and selfies. Hun Sen also met with analyst Mak Hoeun, who had allegedly spoken ill

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen warmly welcomed by president Biden

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, as ASEAN chair, and other ASEAN leaders were warmly welcomed by US president Joe Biden as the ASEAN-US summit May 12-13 kicked off today in Washington. “This evening, I welcomed ASEAN leaders to the White House for the first time in

  • Third Makro outlet planned for capital’s Chroy Changvar

    Makro (Cambodia) Co Ltd is set to invest $12.7 million in its third Cambodian outlet, this time in northeast Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changvar district, an area dotted with high-end residential developments, as shopping behaviours continue to evolve in tandem with economic growth. The Cambodian Investment