Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Siem Reap hopes for local tourism




Siem Reap hopes for local tourism

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A hotel in Siem Reap sits empty while tourism authorities work to attract domestic visitors. Post staff

Siem Reap hopes for local tourism

Guesthouses and restaurants are gradually reopening in Siem Reap province, a world-renowned cultural tourism site famous for its Angkor-era temples after Covid-19 forced many businesses in the area to shut down.

At a press conference at the Council of Ministers on Tuesday, the director of the provincial tourism department Ngov Sengkak said authorities are working hard to promote domestic tourism since international tourism has been almost completely wiped out by Covid-19.

“During the Covid-19 pandemic, we are promoting community tourism sites in preparation to welcome our Cambodian visitors,” he said.

Currently, 40 hotels and 66 guesthouses in the province are operating their businesses as usual and are hopeful that local tourists will visit.

In total, 230 hotels and 261 guesthouses are licensed to do business in the province, he said.

Sengkak said: “We find that people are more likely to visit community-based tourism sites. We now have five land-based, community-based, tourism sites and six offshore ones.”

Ministry spokesman Top Sopheak said although some business activities have resumed, karaoke clubs remain closed.

Sopheak said authorities are continuing to enforce virus prevention measures such as maintaining hygiene, social distancing and wearing face masks.

He said: “The current situation, even in Cambodia, is a little bit eased, but there are restrictions on travelling abroad, so we’re not seeing many international visitors. We’re seeing that local tourism plays an important role in supporting the tourism business.”

An employee of the three-star Angkor Vattanak Pheap Hotel in Siem Reap said some hotels are gradually reopening, but tourists have yet to arrive.

“We get about one to two guests per day for $15 per night. We only opened about 10 rooms downstairs because we can’t afford to pay the electricity bill.”

From January to May 386,093 foreign tourists bought tickets to visit the Angkor Archaeological Park, down 65.46 per cent year-on-year, according to the Angkor Enterprise.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15