Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sihanoukville canal families given 15 days to dismantle

Sihanoukville canal families given 15 days to dismantle

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The restoration work of a canal to avoid flooding in Sihanoukville’s commune IV last month. SIHANOUK PROVINCIAL ADMINISTRATION

Sihanoukville canal families given 15 days to dismantle

The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has given 31 families 15 days from September 6 to remove structures built on land next to the O2 canal and issued a warning for non-compliance.

Provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun on September 6 announced that in the past authorities had issued a letter requesting residents to voluntarily remove structures next to the canal in village 5 of Preah Sihanouk town’s commune IV, which were obstructing the rehabilitation of the canal.

The announcement also confirmed that the town administration had inspected the area and instructed people to dismantle buildings that were illegally built on the land and next to the canal.

“If residents refuse to voluntarily dismantle structures, our working group will implement administrative measures without taking responsibility for any damage or loss to property,” Chamroeun said.

Provincial administration spokesman Kheang Phearom told The Post on September 7 that the Ministry of Public Works and Transport had provided funding for the restoration of the 25,967m canal in the town with a ground-breaking ceremony on December 9, 2019.

Phearum said the rehabilitation required the working group to check the system plan and identify all owners of structures affected by the project.

He added that the working group identified 734 families, of which 224 were completely affected and 510 were partially affected.

“The town administration’s working group has dismantled 464 out of 547 households affected by the rehabilitation project. However, the remaining 31 families have not relocated yet,” he said.

Cheap Sotheary, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said it was not the first time provincial authorities had issued a notice for residents to dismantle structures. It was necessary that people remove them, otherwise the town would continue facing flash floods.

However, she suggested that provincial authorities consider an appropriate policy to assist the people so that they can afford to relocate.

“These people have lived next to the canal and on the land for a long time. The structures are not huts but houses. Authorities need to consider this as well,” she said.

Sotheary added that she would monitor the authorities’ activities concerning the holdouts and assist if they have difficulties in dismantling structures.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro