Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Specialists remove underwater UXO



Specialists remove underwater UXO

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Special forces removed UXO from warships which sunk in Kampong Cham province’s Srei Santhor’s district during the civil war. Photo supplied

Specialists remove underwater UXO

Specialists from the National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces, Mines and Explosive Remnants of War Clearance (NPMEC), in cooperation with the army’s Special Forces Command (SFC), have conducted underwater operations to extract munitions from warships which sank in Kampong Cham province’s Srei Santhor district during the 1970-1975 civil war.

A total of 912 pieces of unexploded ordnance (UXO) have been found.

In a meeting to update progress on January 14, Neang Phat – permanent secretary of state at the Ministry of National Defence and chief of operations in the collection of UXO – said that over the past three months, troops had found and removed shells from underwater and in the villages surrounding the operation area.

He added that the UXO were stored in a safe location away from downtown and under 24-hour guard. The cooperative project is set to continue with a scheduled completion date in early May prior to the rainy season.

Phat explained that government regulations issued on September 30 last year instructed the NPMEC and SFC to form a 55-member unit to implement searches of sunken warships. They have already cleared tonnes of UXO remaining from the war.

Recovery efforts have divided the 150ha within the search perimeter into three zones, labelled as areas of high, medium and low risk.

Major General Mey Sophea, Commander of the UXO Clearance Unit of the NPMEC, said specialists have been working to remove ammunition from two sunken ships, weighing 100 and 200 tonnes, respectively. He noted that the smaller ship had been partly salvaged by local residents who had raided it for scrap metal.

“It is difficult and very dangerous to extract those munitions. The task has required many tools and skills. The ships are in 30m deep water. The shells are now highly reactive and can cause injury when handled,” he said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a directive on August 30 last year to form a research group for the clearance of UXO leftover from the civil war.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could