Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng officials crack down on dredging site

Stung Treng officials crack down on dredging site

A sand dredging operation (pictured) was shut down on Friday at the Sesan River in Stung Treng’s Sesan district. ANN
A sand dredging operation (pictured) was shut down on Friday at the Sesan River in Stung Treng’s Sesan district. ANN

Stung Treng officials crack down on dredging site

Stung Treng provincial authorities on Friday shut down an illegal sand dredging operation on the Sesan River and confiscated equipment after having warned the company to cease operations since December, officials said yesterday.

Kim Hong San, provincial court spokesman, said officials from the provincial Department of Environment, Department of Mines and Energy and the court cracked down on the business in Sesan district, though the owner could not be found at the site. A pumping machine and hoses were seized.

“We asked the villagers living in the area, and they said the sand extraction [had] operated [for] over one year without a licence or any permit documents,” he said. Villagers had complained to authorities about the negative environmental effects and the noise from the operation, he added.

Court spokesman Hong San said multiple people were involved, but that he did not to remember their names.

Nou Sovannara, director of the provincial Department of Mines and Energy, identified one of the suspects involved as Nil Channov. Sovannara said he used to have a licence, and had been instructed to apply to have it renewed, which never happened.

“We inspected the operation and made a letter, [with him] promising [that he would] stop the operation, but they are stubborn,” he said, adding the business had been placed on the “black list” and cannot apply for a licence for up to three years.

MOST VIEWED

  • No more Africa travel ban but new rules for arrivals

    The Ministry of Health has decided to lift the ban on travellers from or who have travelled through 10 African countries and instead issued a set of standard operating procedures to manage passenger arrivals at Cambodia’s international airports. The 10 African countries are Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho,

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • PM blasts Vietnam general over Covid claims

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on December 6 expressed dismay after Vietnamese general Hoang Xuan Chien, formerly in charge of Vietnam’s border defences, claimed that Cambodia was a source of Covid-19 transmissions to the country. Speaking at the opening ceremony for National Road 11 connecting Prey Veng