Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sub-decree outlines Covid measures



Sub-decree outlines Covid measures

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Health officials check the body temperature of travellers on the outskirts of Kep province last week, as a preventive measure against Covid-19. Kep Administration

Sub-decree outlines Covid measures

Prime Minister Hun Sen on March 31 issued a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, including potential travel restrictions, public gathering, curfew, and lockdown to certain areas, among others.

Comprising seven chapters and 23 articles, the seven-page sub-decree was signed by Hun Sen on March 31.

Article 4 states that travel is restricted, except commutes for work, shopping for food, health services and other purposes deemed necessary.

Article 5 stipulates that all public gatherings are forbidden, except among family members living in the same home, funeral rites as permitted by the local authorities, Covid-19 sample collections, or activities related to judicial police procedures.

Article 6 dictates that all business activities are temporarilly banned, except for necessary public works on utilities, online business, take-out at restaurants, food delivery, petrol services, post and emergency services.

According to Article 8: “All purposes of travel that are permitted by Article 4 are not allowed from 8pm to 5am, save for family emergencies, food delivery, travel that serves the public good, commutes to places of business and workplace as permitted by the authorities.”

All businesses that require travel that is permitted by the sub-decree must cease operations from 8pm to 5am, except for ambulance and health services, petrol, and other public services permitted by the authorities.

Travel to locations exposed to Covid-19 is banned, except for emergency and other necessary public services, food delivery or as permitted by the authorities, Article 9 states.

Article 11 says lockdown or other specific administrative measures throughout the country will be determined by government decision. Municipal and provincial governors have the authority to issue administrative measures in any part of their jurisdictions affected by Covid-19. Any administrative measures are to last for two weeks and can be extended for the same term.

Those who violate this sub-decree will be punished according to the Law on Measures to Prevent the Spread of Covid-19 and Other Serious, Dangerous and Contagious Diseases.

Government spokesperson Phay Siphan said travel restrictions are not for the whole country, but only for locations at high risk.

“For example, a few days ago, there was a travel ban at a Borei [gated residential community]. It is like this, the local authority have the power to prevent the Covid-19 virus from spreading. It is like when the police cordon off a certain place to prevent people from getting into a crime scene.

“If the authority restricts one location, it is completely shut down at night,” he said.

Ministry of Justice spokesperson Kim Santepheap told The Post on March 31 that the sub-decree is not yet enforced in any location or region in the country and no curfew is applied until further notice.

“Any administrative measure can be enforced only when there is a decision from the municipal or provincial governor for a certain place in their jurisdiction or for the whole capital or province,” he said.

With regard to inter-province travel, some provincial administrations confirmed on March 31 that there was no quarantine required for those who travel from one province to another, but provincial authorities are obliged to review and introduce health procedures.

Prey Veng provincial deputy governor Chan Tha said there was no government directive requiring people to quarantine and no lockdown was put in place.

“There has been no decision requiring quarantine when travelling from one province to another. But we must know the identity of travellers and their itinerary and we explain health procedures to them,” he said.

Tha said, however, that migrant workers returning from Thailand must undergo quarantine, as required by the government and the Ministry of Health. And the provincial authorities will take a precaution when someone from a high risk province enter Prey Veng.

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearum said quarantine was only required for people suspected of having contracted the virus or tested positive for Covid-19.

But he said: “The provincial administration does not allow non-essential travel. Beside trucks transporting goods, patients, workers and emergency cases, any individual who wants to travel must submit a letter of request to the provincial administration for approval.”

Several other province also said that no quarantine had been required for inter-province travellers, though they must abide by health measures scanning Covid-19 QR code and having their health checked.

Hun Sen also issued a circular on measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19 during the upcoming Khmer New Year holiday from April 14 to 16.

The prime minister instructed authorities at all levels to take measures to ensure better security, safety and public order during the holidays.

“Ensure the implementation and adherence to health measures to prevent and curb the spread of Covid-19. This includes traffic management through the capital, towns and provinces and in all public places,” he said.

As of March 31, Cambodia had recorded a total of 2,440 cases – 1,914 of which were linked to the February 20 community outbreak – with 1,191 recoveries and 14 confirmed deaths from the disease.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and