Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court orders retrial for 2019 murder

Supreme Court orders retrial for 2019 murder

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
the accused was arrested in 2019. POLICE

Supreme Court orders retrial for 2019 murder

The Supreme Court on May 18 overruled the Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court of Appeal decision in a murder case which saw the accused receive a 10-year prison sentence, and ordered a retrial.

Judge Kong Srim read out the court’s decision in absentia of 30-year-old Suon Phin, who stands accused of killing his “girlfriend” on July 18, 2019, in Village III of Sihanoukville’s Commune III.

However, according to the appeal and corroborating witness statements, Phin had already left Preah Sihanouk for Phnom Penh on July 7, 2019 – well over a week prior to the alleged murder.

“The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court and Court of Appeal based their verdicts on facts, but did not evaluate the competing witness statements from the prosecution and the defence in determining whether the accused is guilty,” said Judge Srim.

He added that the original charges were based on statements by witnesses who had seen a photo of the defendant on the victim’s phone and that the woman was seen with Phin before disappearing around July 10-11 that year.

“The Preah Sihanouk Appeal Court verdict dated September 22, 2021, was not legally correct, so we transfer this case back for a retrial,” he said.

At an earlier Supreme Court hearing on May 11, Phin told the judge that he was a construction worker in Sihanoukville and that he knew the 29-year-old woman, Chheurn Chanrath, through her sister.

He said he and Chanrath had fallen in love and planned to get engaged.

“But I left for Phnom Penh on July 7, 2019, for a construction job at the Borey Peng Huoth Boeung Snor [gated community]. Three months later, the Preah Sihanouk provincial police called me in for questioning and arrested me, but really – I did not kill her,” Phin said.

According to the case file, Phin was arrested on October 9, 2019. The provincial court then heard the case and delivered a guilty verdict dated October 13, 2020, sentencing him to 12 years’ imprisonment. He was also ordered to pay 40 million riel ($10,000) to the victim’s family.

The accused filed his grievance with the provincial Appeal Court, which reduced his sentence to 10 years on September 22, 2021, but did not overturn the lower court’s conviction.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a