Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Travellers flee quarantine centre




Travellers flee quarantine centre

Travellers flee quarantine centre

Two Chinese nationals escaped quarantine at their hotel in Phnom Penh on Wednesday while waiting for their first Covid-19 test results.

Their escape marks the fourth time that people have escaped quarantine facilities in the Kingdom.

Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Wednesday that the two visitors arrived in Cambodia from China on Tuesday and were assigned to be quarantined at a hotel in the capital.

Before they escaped, they allegedly argued with each other.

“The authorities are searching for them. Their test results are negative for Covid-19, but they still require further quarantine,” she said.

In July, a Cambodian-American woman escaped from her quarantine centre in Phnom Penh and fled to Kampong Cham province.

In August, two Cambodian workers from Malaysia fled their quarantine centre to return to their homes. Two Vietnamese nationals, a mother and child, also escaped quarantine in Prey Veng province and fled to Kampong Chhnang province before their first test results were returned.

Following the escapes, the health ministry issued a letter of recommendation at the end of August advising all provincial governors to deploy police forces to monitor activities outside Level 1 and 2 quarantine centres and hotels to maintain security and order.

The ministry also requested officials to take action against escapees as required by law by imposing fines ranging from 200,000 ($48.77) to one million riel.

Cambodia has been screening and testing all passengers entering from abroad since May 20 to prevent the transmission of Covid-19 as most of the 274 cases reported in the Kingdom are imported.

The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control Department (CDC) said 110,438 people have been tested for Covid-19 in the Kingdom since the first case was reported on January 27.

No new cases were reported on Thursday and there is only one Covid-19 patient yet to recover.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15