Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - TV stations defend coverage of Kem Ley funeral march



TV stations defend coverage of Kem Ley funeral march

Kem Ley's funeral procession crosses the Chroy Changvar bridge in Phnom Penh earlier this week.
Kem Ley's funeral procession crosses the Chroy Changvar bridge in Phnom Penh earlier this week. Hong Menea

TV stations defend coverage of Kem Ley funeral march

State-run National Television of Kampuchea (TVK) yesterday defended its decision to provide limited coverage to Kem Ley’s funeral procession.

“We broadcasted the procession,” TVK director Kem Gunawadh told the Post. “The duration of the broadcast was almost seven minutes,” he added, before quickly correcting himself, acknowledging the broadcast was closer to two minutes. “We broadcasted what we could as the state media,” he said.

Other local stations also aired limited coverage of the parade, which drew tens, if not hundreds, of thousands in the capital.

“We aired a news spot lasting around two to three minutes,” said Huy Vannak, news editor for sister stations CTN and CNC. “As for the criticism, we cannot just do whatever the public wants. We have our own strategies. No one can force or twist us to do this or that.”

A day before the procession, TV outlets had been warned not to broadcast “images and content related to murder”, though the Information Ministry on Monday said it had only been reiterating pre-existing policy.

Facebook users complained about the lack of attention given the event, with multiple users claiming they had to seek out Thai and Singaporean outlets for more extensive coverage.

Moeun Chhean Naridh, director of the Cambodia Institute for Media Studies, said the credibility of TV stations was at stake.

“Credibility and public trust are hard to build,” Naridh said, claiming stations must choose “whether they want to serve the public interest, or to abide by the government order”.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could