Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Union slams protest verdict



Union slams protest verdict

Union officials talk to the media yesterday outside the Svay Rieng Provincial Court before being sentenced to 13 months in prison for their involvement in blocking a road during a protest.
Union officials talk to the media yesterday outside the Svay Rieng Provincial Court before being sentenced to 13 months in prison for their involvement in blocking a road during a protest. Photo supplied

Union slams protest verdict

In a verdict denounced as unfair by their union leader, and pointedly compared to the same court’s kid-gloves handling of former Bavet town governor Chhouk Bandith, four union officials have been sentenced to 13 months in Svay Rieng provincial prison for blocking a road at a protest last year.

The four officials, all from the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW), were also fined 3 million riel ($735) each but have not been sent to prison yet, according to Pav Sina, president of the CUMW.

“We will file a complaint to the Appeal Court this week against the Svay Rieng provincial court’s verdict, but if the Appeal Court upholds this verdict, those four officials will be arrested and sent to jail,” he said.

Sina said the four officials were innocent of blocking the road on August 18 of last year, and were merely responding to a request for intervention from hundreds of protesting workers from Bavet town’s You Li International Garment factory.

“Hundreds of protesters blocked National Road 1, and our officials went down to convince them to open the road, but the police took pictures when my officials stood with the workers.

That’s why they accused us of provoking the workers to block the road,” said Sina.

Identified as Toun Saren, Suth Chet, Chea Oudom and Cham Samnang, the four CUMW officials were sentenced on Monday with provoking a criminal act.

Toun Saren, who is also the secretary-general of the CUMW, said he suspected the harsh sentences came from local authorities eager to crack down on the union.

“It was the local police officials who filed a complaint about us, because they do not like our union and they want to destroy our union in this province,” he said.

Pav Sina compared the case of the union officials to that of Bandith, the former Bavet governor who was convicted of “unintentional violence” and given an 18-month sentence for shooting into a crowd of striking garment workers with his pistol in 2012, injuring three women.

Bandith evaded arrest following his conviction in 2013 for more than two years, turning himself into authorities on Saturday.

“Chhouk Bandith tried to kill workers, but he got only 18 months in jail, and my officials tried to stop [workers] blocking the road, but they got 13 months in jail,” he said, pointing blame at Bavet town police chief Keo Kong.

Bandith’s case had been dropped entirely by the Svay Rieng provincial court at one point, only to later be reopened at the request of an Appeals Court prosecutor.

Sina said that if the original verdict against the four union leaders is upheld, he would lead a demonstration against the court in Svay Rieng.

Bavet police chief Keo Kong declined to comment yesterday. You Li International Garment could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a