Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Upset staffers protest lay-offs at capital’s waste collection firm



Upset staffers protest lay-offs at capital’s waste collection firm

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Cintri employees protest the dismissal of 80 of their colleagues without proper compensation. Hong Menea

Upset staffers protest lay-offs at capital’s waste collection firm

Some 80 employees at Phnom Penh’s former waste collection company Cintri (Cambodia) Ltd on Thursday filed a petition protesting working conditions and seeking Prime Minister Hun Sen’s intervention after the firm laid off more than 100 administrative staffers without proper compensation.

Cintri had been the capital’s sole waste collection company until last October when Hun Sen ended its contract and removed collection fees from the electricity bill.

The firm would be temporarily allowed to deal with the capital’s rubbish but would no longer be able to collect fees.

According to a directive signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng last month, rubbish collection fees would be settled online, at Acleda Bank Plc or through e-payment service providers. The aim, the directive said, is to modernise public services and ensure every Phnom Penh resident pays their bill.

The employees have held a series of protests since early this month.

Nhor Buntha, a protester who gathered in front of the firm in Chamkarmon district’s Tonle Bassac commune since Monday, told The Post that they would protest until a solution was reached.

He said the protesters had sought intervention from relevant institutions before submitting their petition to Hun Sen. But they were still not provided a solution acceptable to all parties.

“We requested two points – first, we want 100 per cent of our salary, dismissal and seniority indemnity payments and other benefits according to the Labour Law.

“Second, we ask to work at the company run by the Phnom Penh Municipal Hall instead of the current workplace,” he said.

On October 22, last year, the prime minister ended the company’s contract and handed over its waste collection rights to the municipal hall, which will oversee rubbish collection until there is a bidding process to acquire such rights.

Buntha said there had been no response since they delivered the petition to Hun Sen.

“We still continue our strike. We just want [Cintri] to come forward and address the points we have raised because we don’t want to protest on such scorching hot days.

“Some of us even passed out because of the intense heat, but no one has come out to address them at all. Samdech [Hun Sen] has announced that he will not let anyone become jobless or starve. I hope that there is a solution soon,” he said.

Neither Cintri director Seng Savy nor Phnom Penh Municipal Hall spokesman Met Meas Pheakdey could be reached for comment on Thursday.

Kong Chamroeun, an official at Hun Sen’s cabinet, told The Post on Thursday that he had received the petition and had referred it higher authorities for a decision.

“I have not received any news about it yet. I don’t know what measures would be taken to reach a compromise,” he said.

Centre for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights executive director Moeun Tola said the matter would end if the company provided them with proper compensation.

He said if the firm does not follow the Labour Law, the relevant authorities, including the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training, are obliged to step in.

“I call on the authorities to speedily find a solution. If the protest continues, it will affect residents and the state,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a