Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US denies conspiracy to topple Cambodian government

US denies conspiracy to topple Cambodian government

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Opposition leader Kem Sokha speaks to supporters last week in Stung Treng. He and his daughters have been the target of conspiracy theories alleging a US-backed conspiracy to topple the government. Facebook

US denies conspiracy to topple Cambodian government

The US Embassy yesterday hit back at unsubstantiated claims of a United States-backed conspiracy to topple the government disseminated by pro-government media outlet Fresh News, even as local news reported that the Interior Ministry would investigate the purported plot.

In its first public response since the bizarre conspiracy to foment “colour revolution” surfaced via an anonymous Facebook account on Thursday, the US Embassy strongly rejected the suggestion of involvement in regime change in Cambodia and accused the government of using the plot as a distraction from Cambodia’s worsening political situation as the government moves against NGOs and the independent media.

“As we have indicated before, any suggestion that the United States is supporting or has supported revolution is categorically false and is intended to draw attention away from the recent deterioration in Cambodia’s political climate,” embassy deputy spokesman David Josar said via email.

“Revolutions have occurred when ordinary people are denied the opportunity to participate in the political lives of their country. U.S. programs in Cambodia have helped the Cambodian government create just that opportunity.”

The conspiracy claims were first published in Facebook posts from an account named “Kon Khmer”, which translates to “Khmer Child”, before being republished by Fresh News and other local media outlets, many friendly to the ruling Cambodian People’s Party.

Presenting no evidence, the posts allege several groups and individuals, including US freelance journalist Geoffrey Cain, former International Republican Institute Cambodia Director Jackson Cox and US Embassy official Sam Downing, conspired with the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party to create a colour revolution. The term refers to largely nonviolent movements that have ousted regimes in the former Soviet Bloc and parts of the Middle East.

The “Khmer Child” page continued its posts last night, publishing photos of what it claimed were CNRP activists being trained in “colour revolution strategies” last year in Indonesia by members of the Serbia-based Center for Applied Nonviolent Action and Strategies, an NGO that promotes nonviolent protest movements. The post concludes with “wait and see how the authorities of Prime Minister Hun Sen will take action against these foreign NGOs”.

Citing Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak, local newspaper Ramsei Kampuchea yesterday published a story online that the ministry had launched a probe into the claims. Though Sopheak could not be reached, Deputy National Police Commissioner Chhay Sinarith said the ministry would first “clarify the source” of the claims and then “seek the evidence” to see if any laws had been broken.

“First we need to find out whether the information is true or not,” said Sinarith, who has in the past accused NGOs of conspiring with the opposition to take down the government. “The authority needs to investigate whether the source of the information is reliable, and we must also find enough evidence. Secondly, we need to look into the law, whether it covers it or not.”

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Geoffrey Cain, who has been targeted by government-aligned news outlet Fresh News. Facebook

Geoffrey Cain, the freelance journalist named in the post, said he believed the target of the “fake news” operation was the opposition party, particularly its leader Kem Sokha, and his daughters, Kem Samathida and Kem Monovithya, the latter of whom was labelled a CIA agent in the posts.

“I think that we American citizens are just the cannon fodder in this campaign to go after the opposition,” Cain said by phone yesterday. “Mona and Thida, they are the two that are being targeted by this fake news operation. I would not feel safe if I was them; I think they should stay out of the country for now.”

Monovithya, the CNRP’s deputy head of public affairs, was unreachable yesterday. CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann dismissed the claims, saying the party was focused on the upcoming national election.

“They do not need to create a lot of stories that bring a lot of concern to the country,” Sovann said. “We express our political stance again and again since 2013, we are politicians of integrity and do everything for the interests of the people.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro