Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Vietnam to ban timber imports



Vietnam to ban timber imports

Logging trucks leave Oral district, Kampong Speu, loaded with timber last year
Logging trucks leave Oral district, Kampong Speu, loaded with timber last year. Imports and exports of Cambodian logs have now been suspended by the Vietnamese Ministry of Trade. May Titthara

Vietnam to ban timber imports

Vietnam will be enacting a “temporary suspension” of timber imports and re-exports sourced from natural forests in Cambodia and Laos, according to a government circular from the country’s Ministry of Industry and Trade.

The circular takes full effect on December 8 but does not indicate when the suspension will end.

Officials from the Ministry of Industry and Trade did not reply to requests for comment.

Sources on the Cambodian side were not aware of the circular, which was signed on October 24 and publicly released on the ministry’s website yesterday morning.

“I’m hoping it’s a good [thing],” said Bunra Seng, Cambodia country director of Conservation International.

However, Seng said he was not sure if the circular would make a dent in the substantial logging in northeastern Cambodia near the Vietnamese border.

Cambodian timber is often exported to Vietnam – and from there to China – with Cambodian business tycoon Try Pheap accused of amassing tens of thousands of luxury wood logs in Kampong Thom province destined for the country last year.

But the practice is far from new. According to a 2008 report from the Environment Investigations Agency, Vietnam had closed about three-quarters of its state logging companies by 1997, and began receiving large amounts of timber from Cambodia and Laos.

“The Vietnamese timber industry is very much dependent on timber from Cambodia, because they protect their own forests,” said opposition lawmaker Son Chhay, who has investigated logging issues in the past.

“I’m not sure if [the circular] is just to please the international community or if it’s a real thing.”

A senior official in Cambodia’s forestry administration told the Post that even if the circular was implemented, the effect would be difficult to determine, as government statistics of exports to Vietnam do not depict the reality.

“This is very difficult to answer, because officially, we have a number of statistics of exports to Vietnam; if they [implement the] ban, the effect could still be very small.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could