Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers displaced by Lower Sesan II Dam will get facilities: government

Villagers displaced by Lower Sesan II Dam will get facilities: government

Villagers from Kbal Romeas village, which was flooded late last year by the reservoir of the controversial Lower Sesan II Dam, meet with Stung Treng Deputy Provincial Governor Duong Pov on Friday. Photo supplied
Villagers from Kbal Romeas village, which was flooded late last year by the reservoir of the controversial Lower Sesan II Dam, meet with Stung Treng Deputy Provincial Governor Duong Pov on Friday. Photo supplied

Villagers displaced by Lower Sesan II Dam will get facilities: government

In an apparent reversal, Stung Treng province authorities on Friday said they would build public infrastructure for the 83 households from Srekor and Kbal Romeas villages who were displaced by flooding from the reservoir of the controversial Lower Sesan II Dam but declined to move into government-approved resettlement areas.

Officials earlier this month had said they wouldn’t build any infrastructure at the families’ chosen resettlement site, but would grant them the land they have cleared, in addition to the homes the company built for them at the government relocation site.

Duong Pov, deputy provincial governor, visited some 50 Phnong ethnic villagers from Kbal Romeas on Friday.

Srang Lanh, one of the villagers, said Pov promised he would comply with their request for schools and roads, but not without first telling them that it wasn’t too late for them to move to the government’s relocation site.

“But if we wanted to stay here, it [is] OK,” Lanh said.

“He will prepare [public infrastructure] and follow our suggestions [of what] we want,” he added, saying Pov had told villagers “please don’t worry”.

Read more: Sesan dam to bring power, pain

However, Lanh said villagers were sceptical of the pledge, as it was only a verbal commitment.

Pov declined to comment yesterday, but Men Kong, spokesman for the Provincial Hall, said Friday’s visit was aimed at collecting information on villagers’ concerns.

Kong claimed that a health centre is already under construction at a location that villagers from Srekor and Kbal Romeas can easily access.

MOST VIEWED

  • Over 100 Chinese nationals to be deported for online scam

    The Ministry of Interior is planning to deport 128 Chinese nationals after they were arrested in Preah Sihanouk province on Wednesday for their alleged involvement in an online money extortion scam. Y Sokhy, the head of the Department of Counter-terrorism and Transnational Crime, told The Post

  • LPG gas explosion injures 13 people, including foreigners, in Siem Reap

    An explosion on Wednesday at a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) car and tuk-tuk refuelling station in Siem Reap city has left 13 people, including an American and a Briton, suffering burns. The seven most severely burned, including a provincial police officer, were sent to a Thai

  • The French mother navigating the capital in her own personal tuk-tuk

    French woman Cecile Dahome gracefully manoeuvres her tuk-tuk through the manic streets of Phnom Penh with the precision of a Japanese katana before a herd of motorcyclists, attempting to perform illegal U-turns, cuts her off. The riders, like baby ducklings following their mother’s tracks,

  • More than 800 people test positive for HIV in 2018

    The National Aids Authority (NAA) said more than 800 people tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) last year, joining over 76,000 others aged between 15 and 49 in the Kingdom already infected with the virus. The spread of HIV/AIDS in the Kingdom is showing few signs of