Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - New Singapore private home sales dip last month



New Singapore private home sales dip last month

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hyll on Holland was the top seller last month, moving 87 units at a median price of $2,387 per square foot (psf). HYLLONHOLLAND.SG

New Singapore private home sales dip last month

Sales of new private homes in Singapore eased last month amid Covid-19 restrictions although demand is still holding up well, said market observers.

Developers sold 872 units last month, down 2.6 per cent from 895 units in May, according to the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) on July 15.

Viewing restrictions clearly hit sales, said Huttons Asia senior director of research Lee Sze Teck.

“The proportion of transactions from June 15 to 30, when restrictions were eased, stands at 59.8 per cent, compared with 40.2 per cent from June 1 to 14,” he noted.

The URA figures exclude executive condominiums (ECs).

Including ECs, 962 new homes were sold last month – 22 per cent lower than in May, and down 6.7 per cent from a year ago.

PropNex CEO Ismail Gafoor said new private home sales have held up relatively well, compared with the drastic drop during the circuit breaker period last year, when sales plunged to 277 units in April and 487 in May.

“We think consumer confidence has improved vastly since last year,” he said.

JLL senior director of research and consultancy Ong Teck Hui said new private home sales last month were down 12.6 per cent from June 2020, but pent-up demand could push sales and prices higher in the third quarter.

“However, due to the unpredictability of Covid-19, the market should be watchful,” he added.

Sales could improve this month as developers rush to launch their projects before the start of the Hungry Ghost Festival next month. Upcoming launches include The Watergardens at Canberra, Pasir Ris 8 and Klimt Cairnhill.

The Watergardens at Canberra and Pasir Ris 8 are the first two mass-market launches this year, and could do well if priced to capture the buoyant Housing Board resale market, said Huttons Asia CEO Mark Yip.

PropNex head of research and content Wong Siew Ying added: “Given the limited launches in the suburbs recently, new projects in Pasir Ris, Canberra and Fernvale should attract strong interest from owner-occupiers, including HDB upgraders.”

Developers launched 815 units last month, up nearly 58 per cent from May, and 36.5 per cent higher than a year ago. There were no new ECs launched last month.

CBRE head of research for Southeast Asia Tricia Song said June sales were dominated by previously launched projects. City fringe and mass-market segments led the way, with the high-end sector attracting bargain hunters after promotions were offered, she said.

Hyll on Holland was the top seller last month, moving 87 of its 319 units after cutting prices to a median S$2,387 per square foot (US$18,800 per sqm), from its launch level of S$2,800 per square foot in October, she added.

Besides Hyll on Holland, another 119 luxury homes were snapped up at other prime district projects, noted OrangeTee & Tie senior vice-president of research and analytics Christine Sun.

Leedon Green moved 31 units, Fourth Avenue Residences sold 12, and Irwell Hill Residences 11.

Other best-selling projects included Treasure at Tampines, Normanton Park, The Florence Residences, Avenue South Residence, Parc Clematis and Amber Park.

Huttons Asia’s Yip said more Singaporeans bought homes in the S$1.5-2 million (US$1.10-1.46 million) range last month, after cashing out their HDB flats.

More than 40 per cent of June’s sales were priced below S$1.5 million, 31 per cent were between S$1.5 million and S$2 million, and 27 per cent were above S$2 million. The average price paid last month was S$1.82 million, Huttons said.

Despite lower sales in May and June, the tally for the first half of this year was an estimated 6,528 new private homes sold, about 67 per cent up from the same period last year, said Cushman & Wakefield.

Unsold supply has dropped for eight consecutive quarters to 21,634 units as at March 31 – a record low since the fourth quarter of 2017, said Cushman & Wakefield head of research for Singapore Wong Xian Yang.

THE STRAITS TIMES (SINGAPORE)/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old