Cambodia’s economy continues to grow, and its GDP is expected to grow at a rate of approximately 7% per year. This growth favors the educational system overall, as it allows Cambodian students to better afford study abroad opportunities.
The percentage of Cambodians who complete high school and go on to university has increased sharply over the past several years, with a corresponding increase in the number of universities and institutes of higher learning in Cambodia. There is an increasing number of high-quality private international high schools in the country that better prepare Cambodian students to meet the educational requirements of U.S. colleges and universities.
Community colleges have a prime recruitment market in Cambodia that is growing.
• Pre-high school (# of years): 9 years
• High school (# of years): 3 years
• Academic year calendar: 1st October - 15 July
• Recommended times for U.S. institution visits: December – February
o Major school holidays/break: Khmer New Year (April 13-18), King Birthday (May 13-15), Pchum Ben Day (3 days, either in September or October), Water Festival (3 days, generally in November)
o Major exam period(s): 1st Semester Exam (March), 2nd Semester Exam (July), National Exam (August) Secondary Education (high school)
• Language of instruction: Khmer
• Years of mandatory English courses: 6 years
• Grading system and interpretation: 100 scales; 50% is passing grade
• Subjects required: 10 Subjects (Khmer, English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography,
• Earth Science, History, Moral and Civics)
• Graduation requirements: Passing High School National Exam
• Name of school leaving exams: High School National Exam
• How to verify school leaving exams or diploma/certificate/degree: Department of Higher Education Cambodia; contact 855 23 217 937
Structure of University System
• Years of study required to earn a bachelor’s degree: 4 years
• Language of instruction in universities: Majority of higher education institutions offer Khmer as a medium of instruction, while a few universities offer English.
• Years of required English instruction in universities: Varies
• Grading system and interpretation: 4.0 scale is recently practiced by HEIs here
• Degrees offered: Associate degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and Ph.D.
• Top fields of study/majors: Business, accounting, and international relations
• Standardized graduate admissions testing availability / frequency offered in-country: TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, SAT, and GRE
Educational Authorities and International Education Resources
• Organization: Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport
U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh
#1, Street 96, Phnom Penh
Tel: (855) 23 728 274
E-mail: [email protected]
Pannasastra University of Cambodia
No. 184, Norodom Blvd. Phnom Penh
Tel: (855) 10 502 121 or (855) 11 502 121
E-mail: [email protected]