Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Atletico upset the odds to beat Real Madrid and Barcelona



Atletico upset the odds to beat Real Madrid and Barcelona

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Atletico Madrid’s players celebrate after winning the Spanish league football match against Real Valladolid FC and the Liga Championship title on May 22. AFP

Atletico upset the odds to beat Real Madrid and Barcelona

Atletico Madrid’s players ran through the stadium and out into the car park on May 22 to celebrate with fans they had not seen all season after their La Liga title was finally secured.

Three thousand supporters had gathered outside Jose Zorilla Stadium, cordoned off and surrounded by police.

They watched on their phones while Atletico fell behind to 19th-placed Real Valladolid, only to come back to claim a 2-1 win and the championship thanks to Luis Suarez’s 58th-minute winner.

Atletico’s goalkeeper Jan Oblak was hoisted onto shoulders and a scarf was draped round the neck of the 20-year-old Joao Felix.

Central defender Jose Gimenez formed a conga and long after the crowds had dispersed, left winger Yannick Carrasco returned to check on one fan who had been hurt and had to stay lying on the concrete.

Almost an hour earlier, the final whistle had blown to leave Atletico two points ahead of Real Madrid, whose last-gasp victory over Villarreal proved irrelevant

Some Atleti players piled onto each other and others fell to the ground with exhaustion and relief.

After being top since December and after almost throwing away a 10-point lead in February, the title was finally theirs.

Manager Diego Simeone said Atletico’s success was a triumph for strength in adversity and that, in a season when nothing was normal, his team had adapted better than the rest.

“It speaks of the club and the team being made of something different,” Simeone said.

Atletico again made it hard work against Valladolid, after a week earlier needing two goals in the last eight minutes, including another late winner from Luis Suarez, to beat Osasuna.

“Everyone tells you that suffering is part of Atletico’s identity,” Suarez said. “I didn’t think we’d suffer that much.”

And yet Atletico overcoming adversity has a wider context than these results.

This year is only the second in 17 that neither Barcelona nor Real Madrid have won the title, the other when Atletico last clinched the league in 2014.

It is the first time neither Madrid nor Barca have won either La Liga or the Champions League since 2004.

Simeone has never hidden from Atletico’s historic inferiority, instead revelling in it to cast his team as underdogs punching above their weight, without pressure and with the benefit only of hard work and belief.

More to come

Atletico spent €126 million ($154 million) on Felix in 2019 but since Simeone took over in 2011 their net spend on transfers has been around €50 million. Real Madrid’s amounts to more than €200 million and Barcelona’s close to €600 million.

Atletico’s revenue is half that of Real Madrid and Barca’s while their wage bill last season came in at €231 million, compared to Real Madrid’s €385 million and Barcelona’s €485 million.

When Simeone took over, Atletico were 10th. In the decade since, they have never finished outside the top three and after going 18 years without the title, they have now won it twice in seven.

And there could be more to come. Simeone linked his team’s success to unusual circumstances but celebrating does not have to be a one-off. Atletico should not have to wait another seven years for the next one.

Real Madrid and Barcelona could both start next season with new coaches and with a remit to overhaul squads seen as too old and too expensive.

At the same time glamorous signings are unlikely this summer as both clubs continue to suffer the dreadful financial consequences of the pandemic.

Atletico, meanwhile, have a settled team with a coach they can trust. They have adopted a more assertive style in La Liga, even if they were unable to find it in Europe.

They have elite players such as Jan Oblak, Jose Gimenez, Koke, Marcos Llorente and Suarez, who can all continue as the spine, even if it might be a risk to rely on the 34-year-old Suarez to deliver quite so dramatically again.

But with some astute additions, Atletico could next season ensure they are more than just an intervention when Barcelona and Real Madrid are below-par.

They can win it again, on their own terms, with the fans in the stands instead of the car park.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Cambodia purchases 4 million Molnupiravir tablets

    Cambodia has arranged for the purchase of four million US-made Molnupiravir pills – enough to treat 100,000 Covid-19 patients – even though the current rate of daily infections in Cambodia remains low. The medicine will be distributed to state hospitals, pharmacies and private clinics, according to the Samdech

  • Rise in planned flights lifts travel hopes

    Six airlines have applied to resume flights in December, while two others have put in for additional flights and routes, according to State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) head Mao Havannall on November 29. These account for 43 new weekly domestic and international flights in December, up 16

  • Is Cambodia’s travel sector in for another cheerless holiday season?

    The travel and tourism sector was heaving back to life as borders started to reopen, promising a festive vibe for the holidays and New Year. But Omicron and other Covid-related issues are threatening to close the year on a bleak note ‘Seems [like] Covid-19 won’

  • Cambodia planning new border checkpoint at Thma Da

    Cambodia is looking into the possibility of opening a new Thma Da Border Checkpoint with Thailand to boost trade and tourism. The Ministry of Public Works and Transport said on December 4 that Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol led a technical working group

  • Hun Sen: Manet to be candidate for prime minister

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has reaffirmed that his oldest son Hun Manet will be his successor as Prime Minister if he is elected. Speaking during the inauguration of a new sewage treatment facility in Preah Sihanouk province on December 2, Hun Sen said Manet will be