Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japan’s Honda admits ‘mistakes and failures’



Japan’s Honda admits ‘mistakes and failures’

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Japanese superstar Keisuke Honda has been the general manager of Cambodia’s national team since 2018. AFP

Japan’s Honda admits ‘mistakes and failures’

Globe-trotting Japan star Keisuke Honda admitted to “mistakes and failures” as he pitched up in Azerbaijan’s league, but refused to give up on playing at the Tokyo Olympics.

The 34-year-old midfielder, who spent three and a half years at Italian giants AC Milan, signed for Azerbaijani outfit Neftci until the end of the season on Monday, having been without a club since leaving Brazil’s Botafogo in December.

It is quite a change in fortunes for Honda, formerly a mainstay of the national team and the first Japanese player to score at three World Cups.

Honda, who has already played for clubs in seven different countries including Mexico, Australia and Russia, said he “didn’t have any options” after a February move to Portugal fell through because of transfer regulations.

“I made a lot of mistakes and failures – that’s why I’m here,” Honda, his trademark bleach-blond crop grown out into an unkempt mane, said at an online press conference from Baku.

“Everyone said to me: ‘Why don’t you go back to Japan to play?’ [But] it’s not interesting for me any more. I’m maybe a weird person, but that’s me,” he said, adding that he likes to “challenge new things”.

But Honda, who retired from Japan’s senior team in 2018, believes he can still force his way into the squad for this summer’s coronavirus-delayed Tokyo Olympics.

“Nothing is impossible, but it’s not an easy situation for me,” said the attacking midfielder, who hopes to be chosen as one of three overage players in Japan’s under-24 squad.

“I haven’t been selected so far so I have to show the head coach of the national team I play good here. I have ambition to show I play good again here. I think it’s possible.”

And Honda also shrugged off suggestions that his role as general manager of Cambodia’s national team, which he took up in 2018, will interfere with his playing career.

“I manage my time with the great people who work on the Cambodian national team project,” he said.

“First, I can just spend a lot of time as a player, and second I spend time on the Cambodian project with great people . . . It’s not difficult to manage the time.”

Honda said playing for Neftci is his “priority for now”, but refused to speculate on his plans beyond the Azerbaijan Premier League season, which ends in late May.

“I never felt that I would come to Azerbaijan when I started playing soccer.

“I didn’t expect when I started playing football that I would play in eight countries. But now, to be honest, I really want to play in more countries,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and