Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Spanish Prime Minister: La Liga can resume in two weeks




Spanish Prime Minister: La Liga can resume in two weeks

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Captain Lionel Messi and his Barcelona teammates sit atop La Liga standings, two points ahead of Real Madrid. AFP

Spanish Prime Minister: La Liga can resume in two weeks

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced on Saturday that top national football league La Liga can resume from its coronavirus lockdown on the week of June 8.

“The resumption of major professional sporting competitions and in particular La Liga will be allowed from the week of June 8,” Sanchez told a press conference.

La Liga president Javier Tebas has said the preferred date for games to resume is Friday, June 12 and Sanchez’s announcement means that plan has been given the green light from the government.

Tebas tweeted: “We are very happy with the decision. It is the result of the great work of clubs, players, coaches.

“But it is very important to follow the health protocol and respect the trajectory of the pandemic. We cannot lower our guard.”

More than two months after the Covid-19 pandemic halted the season in Spain, players have begun training in small groups as they aim to be as ready as possible for the planned reboot next month.

Barcelona sit top of the table, two points ahead of Real Madrid.

Clubs have 11 games left to play to finish the season, with the proposed final round to be completed by the end of July.

The Andalusian derby between Real Betis and Sevilla is likely to be the first game back.

According to a protocol prepared by La Liga, a compressed calendar would mean teams playing matches both in midweek and at weekends while fixtures will be held behind closed doors, with only 197 people allowed to attend.

Players will also undergo tests for coronavirus the day before games and will have their temperatures taken before being allowed to enter stadiums.

“When you leave the house, the risk is already there,” Barcelona captain Lionel Messi told nationwide daily sport newspaper Mundo Deportivo earlier this month.

“So I think you can’t think about it too much because otherwise you’ll not want to go out anywhere.”

La Liga’s staggered training programme meant players began working individually at training grounds on May 4 and were able to expand into groups of up to 10 players this week.

The top flight was first suspended on March 12, the same day Real Madrid went into quarantine following the positive test of one of the club’s basketball players.

But Tebas has been adamant the league must restart, having estimated that a cancellation of the season would cost clubs around €1 billion ($1.1 billion).

France’s Ligue 1 has been cut short, with Paris Saint-Germain declared champions, while the Bundesliga in Germany became the first major European league to resume behind closed doors last weekend.

Tebas has said the chance is low of players infecting each other during games.

Earlier this month, he said: “In the match environment, infection is practically impossible because we have carried out a study that we will present that shows the smallest risk is in matches if everyone respects the medical protocol.

“If things are done as they should be, there shouldn’t be any infections. If five infections appear in one club, it would suggest some negligence.”

Spain has been in lockdown since March 12 and is one of the worst-affected countries by coronavirus, with 28,628 deaths, said the Ministry of Health.

But Sanchez said “the hardest part is over”, with the reproduction rate down to 0.2 and the number of confirmed daily deaths in the country dropping to 48 on Saturday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could