Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tite refuses to judge Neymar after rape accusation

Tite refuses to judge Neymar after rape accusation

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The 27-year-old football star Neymar. AFP

Tite refuses to judge Neymar after rape accusation

The coach of the Brazilian national football team, Tite, said on Monday he would “not judge” the sexual assault allegations levelled against his star player Neymar, which the Paris Saint-Germain forward says are an attempt to blackmail him.

“I understand the seriousness of the issue,” he said. “But there must be time for people to be able weigh the facts.”

“I’m not going to let myself judge the facts,” the coach said at the Brazilian squad’s training centre outside Rio, where they are preparing for the upcoming Copa America tournament.

“The facts are not sufficiently clear. Only time will give us answers,” Tite said. “In the three years I have been dealing with Neymar, all the personal issues we have dealt with have been fair and truthful,” he said.

The scandal erupted on Saturday when local media published accusations that a Brazilian woman had filed with the Sao Paulo police, accusing the 27-year-old football star Neymar of forcing her into non-consensual sex after meeting her on Instagram and inviting her to visit him in a Paris hotel in May.

Sao Paulo police have confirmed the accusations had been filed but said the details of the case were confidential.

Neymar is training in Teresopolis for the tournament which will take place in Brazil from June 14 to July 7.

Neymar will be also be investigated by police in Rio de Janeiro for releasing a video featuring a series of WhatsApp chats and intimate photos of his accuser in an attempt to clear his name.

The footballer did not show her face or reveal her name, but such revelations are banned under Brazilian law.

A police car was spotted entering the training facility on Monday as Tite was speaking to the media. But the Brazilian football federation has asked police to postpone the date for Neymar to appear in person to provide a statement.

Neymar has reportedly been summoned to appear before investigators in Rio de Janeiro on Friday.

But the footballer is due to be in the southern city of Porto Alegre that day to prepare for a friendly match against Honduras on Sunday ahead of the Copa America.

According to Globoesporte.com, Neymar could give evidence on the Monday after the match before rejoining the team in Sao Paulo.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said