Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ugly scenes mar Timor Leste’s title win over Cambodia



Ugly scenes mar Timor Leste’s title win over Cambodia

Ugly scenes mar Timor Leste’s title win over Cambodia

In a bitterly fought final marred by frayed tempers, war of words, violent pushing and shoving among players, Timor Leste created history by winning the country’s first major football title after beating Cambodia 1-0 to take home the U21 Hassanal Bolkiah Trophy at the HB National Stadium on Saturday night.

A crowd of well over 20,000 watched in disgust an unwarranted act of aggression just past the half-hour mark on the part of Cambodian defender Chheng Meng turn into a fracas.

Meng reportedly kicked the ball at Lucas Baptista as he lay on the turf after a tackle and within moments players on both sides were seen hurling insults at each other.

Referee Ahmad Yaquob Ibrahim of Jordan had a hard time bringing the situation to order and once sanity on the pitch was restored he had no hesitation in sending off Meng, reducing Cambodia to 10 men for the rest of the match.

With the sides going hammer and tongs, there was plenty of action at both ends and Sos Suhana missed out on two very close calls just before those ugly scenes unfolded on the pitch, adding to the pressure of the side having to cope with reduced manpower.

For their part, Timor Leste were equally aggressive in their approach and their relentless search for a goal was finally rewarded six minutes into the second half when Henrique Cruz overcame three Cambodian defenders to beat goaltender Keo Soksela for what turned out to be a golden goal for a country who began competing in Asean competitions in 2004.

Cambodia were also on the cusp of a major football success having been knocked around in early stages in most of the regional challenges and the loss clearly left coach Prak Sovannara, who had done a splendid job in taking the team this far, frustrated.

While the Cambodian camp took the referee’s decision to red card Meng as too harsh while overlooking Timor Leste goal-keeper violently pushing the Cambodian player, the Timor Leste coach Eduardo Pereira refused to be drawn into the controversy. The Timor Leste coach said his players’ perseverance paid off and it was an achievement the country was proud of, as local media reports indicated that celebrations in the capital Dili and other major towns went on well into the night.

The victory in Brunei will go

a long way in polishing the image of Timor Leste football and raise its profile in the region, following a naturalised players controversy which hit the country in 2012 when several Brazilians were drafted into the national team.

Following complaints from the local population about these overseas players to the country’s prime minister, prosecutor general and the justice minister, the federation put an end to recruiting overseas players to represent the country.

However, in December 2016, the Timore Leste Football Federation was charged with using forged documents, fielding ineligible players and bringing the game into disrepute. In January 2017, it was announced that Timor Leste had been barred from participating in the qualification tournament for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup after being found to have played 12 ineligible players during the 2019 cycle.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement